There are four definite leads to help you understand what type of questions to expect during examination. These are:
- API RP 580 Risk-based Inspection, Third Edition, Feb. 2016
- Experience of other candidates who attempted the exam
- Mock exam questions
- Exam Score Report (showing the areas where you are scored against)
Area of examination
You are scored for your performance in the following areas during the examination:
- Purpose and Scope
- Risk Determination, Assessment, Management and Reassessment through Inspection and Other Activities
- Determining and Assessing Damage Mechanisms, Failure Modes, POF and COF
- Personnel and Documentation
- Risk Assessment and RBI
- Planning and Data \ Information Collection for RBI
The API 580 Risk Based Inspection certification exam tests the individual’s knowledge and expertise in the field of Risk Based Inspection.
You shall be able to:
- Planning the RBI Assessment.
- Data and Information Collection.
- Assessing Probability of Failure.
- Assessing Consequence of Failure.
- Risk Determination, Assessment and Management.
- Risk Management with Inspection Activities.
- Other Risk Mitigation Activities.
- Reassessment and Updating.
- Roles, Responsibilities, Training and Qualifications.
- Documentation and record-keeping.
How the API 580 exam questions developed?
A question writing session is periodically conducted by Subject Matter Experts (SME’s), or individuals who specialize in pressure vessels, write questions from specific sections of the Code. Each question is then checked by three other SME’s.
This validation exercise answers two questions;
- Is the question written clearly?
- Does the question cover knowledge that is important to a vessel inspector?
These questions then go into a question data-bank as non scored exam questions.
Presently there are over 500 questions in the data-bank and are grouped by topics. For each examination, there are 80 questions on the exam pulled from area of Examination (see above). Only 70 Questions are scored. The remaining 10 are pre-test questions and not marked towards your score, that is, these pre-test questions do not affect your score whether you have answered them correctly or not. API does not tell you which ones these questions are.
Note: Starting with the August 2021 window, there will be 90 questions, of which only 80 are scored.
API needs to ensure that these questions are not significantly challenged by the candidates and have also been answered by a reasonable number of candidates before adding them to their question bank as scored questions.
No Negative Marking
The pass mark is roughly 70% for all the API examinations. No negative marking is applied. Therefore, make sure that you have answered all the questions. At the end, click the ‘’review all’’ button and peruse through the list to ensure that you have not skipped any question. You can also check ‘’review incomplete questions’’ to ensure there is nothing on the list, that is, no question left unanswered.